The Japanese Hall, previously located on Avenue C in Scottsbluff, was constructed in 1928. For decades, this building was used for Japanese language classes, dances, festivals, theater productions, sports clubs, and church services.The Friendly Circle Bazaar was held at the building from the 1950’s through 2016 to help maintain the building. The Young Men’s Association and the Ian Kai also assisted in preserving the building. However, as time rolled on, more and more descendants have left the area in the quest of the American dream, and in November 2017 the building was sold and held its last event in March 2018. The owner donated the building to the Legacy of the Plains Museum.
The Japanese Hall building was moved to the Legacy of the Plains campus in December of 2019. We hope to open the doors in early 2024 to show off new exhibits featuring collections from the Japanese community. This move would ensure that the building and heritage of the Japanese of the High Plains would be preserved and protected for future generations.
For more information or to learn more about how to donate to the Japanese Hall Project, please email inquiries to email@example.com.